Email Services/Office 365
Welcome to the Argonne Office 365 Migration Wiki.
As we transition your email data and services to the cloud, there are several key items of which you should be aware. They will be outlined here for your review and reference. You can find all of the information relevant to the initiative on this wiki. We hope that the details to follow will both answer common questions and set some reasonable expectations for the process.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact the BIS Service Desk at 2-9999 option 2
BIS Email Services
Who will perform the work?
BIS will be performing the data migrations in cooperation with consultants skilled in the migration to Office 365. BIS field technicians, the BIS Service desk, and your division's technical support will be providing post migration support.We will have Email Migration staff from the Service Desk available at APS to assist you if an issue arises.
The migration is straightforward and occurs in the background while you are working.
What to Expect
- Once your migration date is set, you will be informed via email no less than two days before and again on the day of your migration
- All mailbox data will be migrated. This includes mail, mail folders, calendar items, contacts, inbox rules and notes
- During the migration process, you can work normally in your mailbox. Your access will not be affected
- At the very end of your migration, your mailbox will be unavailable for up to fifteen minutes as the final cut-over occurs.
- After your migration has completed, you may need to reconfigure your mail client or mobile device. Instructions for doing so can be found on the Office 365 Client Configuration Documents Wiki.
- If you had any connections to additional calendars or shared mailboxes, they will need to be re-established in your new mailbox. Instructions for doing so can be found on the Exchange User Documentation Wiki.
- If you are a delegate for another user’s mailbox or calendar, that capability will be unavailable until that user is also transitioned. Every effort will be made to coordinate the migration of mailboxes so that managers and delegates are migrated together
- If you manage a distribution list through Outlook, you will no longer have that capability. The Service Desk or your Division's IT Staff will be able to make list modifications for you
- If you subscribe to a shared calendar via .ics file or normally view it on the web, The address to that calendar may change after the corresponding mailbox has migrated. you can reference the wiki pages below to obtain the updated addresses
Accessing Your Mailbox
In addition to your normal email client and mobile device, you can access your mailbox from anywhere in the world from either of the following websites by logging in with your ANL domain username in the format firstname.lastname@example.org and your password.
From the Office 365 Welcome page, click the “Mail”, “Calendar” or “People” icon to access your inbox, calendars, or contacts, respectively.
Mailbox and Message Size Limits
- The new primary mailbox size limit will be 100gb. It is unlimited on our current system, but very few users are currently at or near that limit. Additionally Office 365 provides an archive mailbox feature with unlimited storage to accommodate our needs
- Archive data is only accessible via Outlook 2016 (windows and mac) and the web client
- for current mailbox limit information visit https://technet.microsoft.com/library/exchange-online-limits.aspx
- The message size limit for Office 365 is 150gb. It is 100gb on our current system. That being said Effective maximum message size limit varies depending on mail client the user chooses
- Outlook 2016 (windows) - 150mb
- Outlook on the Web - 112mb
- Outlook 2016 (mac) ~ 35mb
- IMAP/POP ~25mb
- All users have access to Outlook on the web. If you do not use Outlook for Windows, the recommendation is that you leverage Outlook on the Web at http://portal.office.com to send large attachments.
Helpful Links and Information
- For more information on how to use Office 365 via the online interface or how to connect your existing email client, please reference the wiki pages listed below.
- You can also find helpful links on your Office 365 landing gage
- Log in to portal.office.com
- click the tiles Icon at the top left, and choose the "all" view
- scroll to the bottom to the section labeled "Other" for getting started guides and other helpful reference materials
Post Migration Support
- Tips to resolve connectivity issues with desktop and mobile clients after migration to Office 365
- Connecting a desktop or mobile client to Office 365 for the first time